Seriously. These are the most delicious stuffed peppers. Ever. My dad’s side of the family is from Italy, so I’m partial to all things pasta, Italian sausage, tomato sauce, pizza-y, etc. When I went Paleo, it became super important to me to be able to re-create some of my favorite flavors without the dairy, wheat, and extra sugar traditionally found in most Italian recipes.
I’ve tweaked this stuffed pepper recipe to make it just right, in my humble opinion. Bonus: it uses the crockpot! Dinner will be waiting for you when you get home from a busy day with 15 minutes of simple prep the night before. Can’t get any better than that.
Recipe adapted from PaleoPot.com
- 5 - medium to large organic bell peppers – I’m partial to red peppers because they are a bit sweeter, but they can also be 2x as expensive as their green counterparts. If red peppers aren’t on sale, by all means get the green peppers.
- 1 – 6 oz can organic tomato paste
- 2 – cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 – head of cauliflower, riced
- 1 – tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ - ½ tsp – crushed red pepper flake, depending on your preference
- 1 lb – ground hot Italian sausage or ground beef
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- Brown Italian sausage on stove until cooked through. Drain fat.
- Sauté the diced onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Rice the cauliflower head. *I usually use my blender to do this. I cut up the cauliflower into large-ish (yes, that’s the professional term) chunks and pulse for a few seconds.
- Mix the Italian sausage, cauliflower, onions and garlic together in a large bowl.
- Add the tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper flakes to the sausage/cauliflower filling. Mix well.
- Wash and prepare the bell peppers. I cut the tops off, scoop out the ribs and seeds, and arrange them top off in my crockpot. *I can usually fit 5 medium to large bell peppers in my large crockpot.
- Fill each bell pepper with the sausage mixture and place the top back on the pepper. *If there is any extra filling just spoon it in crockpot between the peppers. It will be delicious once cooked!
- Place in refrigerator if you’re prepping the night before, if not, simply turn crockpot on low for 8 hours or high for 4-6 hours.